Apple Cake

A true family recipe, handed down from generation to generation; I'm at least the third generation to continue the tradition of making apple cake.  The recipe originated in our family from Aunt Selma, an adopted 'aunt' (and Uncle Harry, of course) of my mother's who had no children of her own who adopted my mother and her four siblings as her own extended family.  Aunt Selma and Uncle Harry were included in all of my mother's family gatherings, and I like to imagine this cake was frequently there as well.  It's a very simple cake to make, and pretty quick prep as well.  While it's doesn't look too fancy, it tastes amazing; my friends have frequently asked for the recipe over the years and I am happy to be able to continue the tradition of passing on Aunt Selma's apple cake.  Did I mention it has a caramel frosting?



Apple Cake
Put in a large bowl (electric mixer) and mix until well blended:
2 1/3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. clove
1/4 tsp. nutmeg


 Add to above mix and blend on medium speed:
4-5 c. chopped, peeled apples (usually 4 large apples)
1/2 c. soft butter
1/2 c. chopped walnut (optional - I never use!)
2 eggs

Note:
  • The dough seems very dry at first when you add the apples, but don't worry, the apples quickly juice out and the dough becomes very wet.
  • Be sure to butter and flour the pan (esp. if using a Bundt pan); this cake has a tendency to stick.
  • If using a Bundt pan, allow cake to cool in pan for a few minutes, then tip cake out and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Bake at 325. 9x13 = 45 min. Bundt pan = 60 min. (until a tester comes out clean)

Caramel Frosting
In a small pan on a stove:
1/3 c. melted butter
add 1/2 c. brown sugar, melt.
add a dash salt and 3 T milk.
Boil. Cool 10 minutes.
Add 1 1/2 c. confectioners sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Beat with a spoon until smooth.
Add small amounts of confectioners sugar with sifter to thicken, if needed. You don't want it to be so thin it runs off the cake, or so thick it won't drip down the sides a little bit (if using a Bundt pan).
Spread over cake.

 
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. This looks delish - and I love the way the photo captured the frosting! - Taeler

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to make this cake 3 times before I got the frosting picture perfect :P I'm glad you noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you! I'll have to let you know next time I'm bringing something in and you can 'happen' to stop by! :)

    ReplyDelete