Whole Wheat Flatbread Gyros - California Style

"Delectable Cate, what do I do with all this leftover Italian Sausage?" I can just hear you asking me as you put away the leftovers from those Flatbread Pizzas you made after the last post. I know because I was asking myself the exact same question. Fortunately for you, I have an answer. And it will use up those leftover tomatoes, too! As for the other ingredients? They're all simple things you're likely to have on hand.


I was amazed when I made these, and couldn't wait to make them again (I even considered having one for dinner after eating one for lunch... is that wrong?) A great gyro is, well, wonderful. I love them. It's possible someone might say these aren't real gyros, and I won't argue; I haven't had enough of them to consider myself an expert. But these are definitely worth trying - to use up that Italian sausage if for no other reason!

Whole Wheat Flatbread Gyros - California Style
1/4-1/3 cup low fat sour cream or fat free plain Greek yogurt
1 small garlic clove, minced
about 1 tsp finely shaved onion slice, minced
1/4-1/2 tsp dried dill (to taste)
pinch salt if desired
Whole wheat pita flatbread (2)
Cucumber spears
Tomato spears
Ground sweet Italian sausage, browned
Fresh spinach
Avocado, sliced

1. Mix the sour cream or Greek yogurt, garlic, onion, and dill together. Add salt to taste if desired. This is a quick tzatziki sauce!

2. Spread the tzatziki sauce on a flatbread and top with remaining ingredients. Fold/wrap in half.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment