Tomato Pasta

It's Friday night and you're just not in the mood to spend time slaving over the stove. Or perhaps it's a busy weeknight and you need to pull dinner together quickly.

Tonight was just one of those nights for me. As I contemplated walking down to get some Thai takeout, I remembered an interview I saw with Michael Symon this week in which he talked about the staples to keep in your pantry so you can whip up a pasta dish any time. I couldn't remember everything he listed, but I did have what I figured would make a great dinner.

Sure enough, I was right. The pasta was thick and chewy, the sauce had a hint of spice from the fresh garlic and chili flakes. The simplicity of the meal made the food even more comfortable.

Tomato Pasta
1 can diced tomatoes
5 small gloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried basil
1 T olive oil
salt & pepper
1/2 tsp. dried chili flakes
favorite pasta noodle
Grated parmesan cheese for topping

1. Boil water for the pasta, and cook according to directions. Begin the sauce while the water/pasta is on. Be sure to salt the water after it's boiling, but before adding the pasta. I once heard to make the water as salty as the sea; I don't know if it's true, but it's usually the rule I use.

2. For the sauce, heat the olive oil over low heat in a medium sauce pan. Once hot, add the minced garlic; sauté until fragrant, being careful not to scorch the garlic.

3. Add the diced tomatoes, basil and dried chili flakes, a dash of salt and a twist of pepper to taste. Simmer until the pasta is done.*

*For runny pasta sauces, cook the pasta until one minute shy of being ready, strain, and add to the sauce and continue to cook for a minute longer. The pasta will soak up the liquid (and therefore flavor) of the sauce.

4. Serve topped with parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment