Rhubarb Cake

'Tis the season for rhubarb!  I know, I know - rhubarb season started a long time ago; but it's still going on and I'm in the midst of harvesting my second cutting, so I thought I'd share some of the great recipes I've discovered.  This first one (yes, look for future rhubarb postings!) is a new one to me this year.  My dear friend Carolyn shared this recipe; it's a cake her mother made when she was growing up, and I'm excited to be able to pass it on to you!

I have to admit that I was skeptical of rhubarb cake when I first heard of it.  Up until now, I'd only had rhubarb crisps and pies.  But one taste was all it took - I was a convert!  The crispy brown sugar topping adds just the perfect touch of texture and sweetness.  Now I almost prefer it to pie. 

I made this particular batch at my parent's house this weekend (can you believe they hadn't even harvested their first batch of rhubarb?!?  Something had to be done!).  I took advantage of the beautiful day to snap an outdoor picture!



Rhubarb Cake

1 c. buttermilk (set aside - buttermilk substitute recipe below)

2 c. diced rhubarb
1/2 c. sugar

(mix and let stand)

1/2 c. softened butter
1 1/2 c. sugar

(cream together)

Add one egg to the creamed butter and sugar.

2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
dash of salt

In a medium bowl, sift dry ingredients together - I whisk!
Add dry ingredients to butter, sugar and egg mixture.

1 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla

(add to rhubarb)

Add rhubarb and buttermilk mixture to the flour and butter mixture and blend all completely (I use my Kitchen-Aid and it works perfect!)

Pour into a 9x13 pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. 
Sprinkle on topping evenly and bake another 30 minutes.

Rhubarb Cake Topping

1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. softened butter
2 T. flour

Mix with pastry blender or fork.

Buttermilk Substitute

Place 1 T. lemon juice or white vinegar in a liquid cup measurer (I actually used cider vinegar as we didn't have lemon juice or white vinegar and it worked just fine). Fill with milk up to 1 cup line.  Let stand for 5 minutes, then use as recipe requests


Rhubarb cake is also a great way to use frozen rhubarb (if you're like me, you can never eat it all in time). Last time I tried using frozen rhubarb to make a cake, it was very flat and mooshy; apparently rhubarb looses any sense of shape when frozen. Fortunately, rhubarb cake doesn't need rhubarb to hold it's shape, so now I have a great recipe to bring back summer in the dead of winter - as well as enjoy when fresh! (Disclaimer: Although I haven't tried it with frozen rhubarb yet, I'd probably recommend draining the thawed rhubarb or the cake will probably not set properly.)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment