Rhubarb (Strawberry) Custard Pie

As I told you last time, I'm sharing more rhubarb recipes!  This time it's for a pie my mother has made for as long as I can remember, rhubarb custard pie.  It's a simple pie to make, especially as rhubarb is so easy to prepare, and easy to love.  This time, I decided to try a little twist on the recipe: I added strawberries. 

It took two tries to get this pie right.  The first time through, I added strawberries to the recipe and waited to see how it worked.  It was quite runny.  For the second try, I increased the amount of flour and it turned out perfect!

I hope you find it delectable, with or without strawberries!



Rhubarb (Strawberry) Custard Pie

1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup sugar
6 T flour
1/2 cup water
1 T melted butter
2 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
3/4 cups diced strawberries
1- 8inch pie crust - recipe below

1.  Mix the first 5 ingredients together to create the custard. Mix the water in last so the flour doesn't clump. Let stand while you prepare the fruit and pie crust. 

2.  Create a pie crust. This pie is traditionally served with one crust (lower), but if you're really into pie crusts, you can put a top on it as well, just be sure to cut venting holes in the top!

3.  Dice the rhubarb and strawberries.  I prefer smaller pieces, so I slice each rhubarb stem in half length-wise before dicing, and cut each strawberry into 4 or 8 pieces, depending on size.

4. Mix all fruit together and pour into a prepared pie crust.



5.  Mix custard one last time and pour over fruit in the crust.

6. Bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes, until the crust is just golden brown and fruit isn't jiggly.

Enjoy! 



If you'd like to make this recipe without the strawberries, follow all steps the same, but decrease the flour to 3 tablespoons and increase the rhubarb to 3 cups.  To make the recipe for a 9" pie pan, multiply all ingredients by 1.5.  To make it for a 10" or a deep dish pie pan, double the recipe.

9-inch Pie Crust

1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T ice water
1/3 + 1 T crisco

1.  Combine flour and salt in a bowl.

2.  Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter.  Sprinkle water as needed until dough sticks together.

3.  Lightly flour a flat surface, or place ball of dough between two sheets of wax paper (easy clean up!)

4.  Roll dough out to two inches larger than inverted pie pan (I use this recipe for an 8-inch pan and just keep the crust slightly thicker).

5.  Place pie shell in pan and fit the crust down into the corners of the pan.  After folding the edges over the filling (I've never been able to nicely crimp edges of a pie crust), I like to sprinkle a little sugar on the edge of the crust for extra sweetness!

If you want a top crust as well, just double this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment