Coconut Macaroons

I admit, it's been awhile since my last post - too long.  I've even received complaints about the fact that it's been so long since I've posted anything.  To make it up to you, I'm going to post twice this weekend. One (this one), a new cookie recipe and an oldie-but-goody cookie recipe for you.

This particular cookie recipe is one reason it's taken me so long to post.  I got the crazy idea a few weeks back that I wanted to come up with the best coconut macaroon recipe and post it here.  Well, five batches of coconut macaroons later, here's what I've come up with.  I think my friends, family and co-workers were pretty happy I took this quest on, and didn't mind being my guinea pigs for this one.

My first three recipes I found online; a Barefoot Contessa classic (which I also found on other reputable cooking websites, not attributed to her), an Epicurious.com recipe, and an Alton Brown recipe.  Unfortunately for poor Mr. Brown, his cookies were thrown out (I didn't want to put everyone through the misery of testing them) but I did keep one aspect of his recipe that made it through to the winning batch - toasted coconut. 

I also created two recipes using various elements of other recipes and ideas of my own (one recipe included coconut cream!).  While the first recipe I created didn't even place in the top three, I am very proud to announce that, three bags of coconut, 8+ egg whites, 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk, one box of coconut cream, and multiple various other ingredients later, recipe number five, my twist on Barefoot Contessa's classic Coconut Macaroon (which did come in second), is the winner! 


Best Coconut Macaroons

14 oz. sweetened shredded coconut, divided
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp. salt

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread 1/2 of coconut out evenly over parchment paper and toast about 10 minutes in oven - check every 5 minutes, more frequently as it starts to turn golden.  If edges are toasting before the middle, remove pan from oven and mix coconut, spread back out; return to oven and continue toasting until coconut is mostly golden brown. Be careful not to burn it! (Burned coconut smells bad and requires starting over, which, unless you purchased extra, usually means another trip to the store for a second bag - not that I would know...)

3. Mix toasted and untoasted coconut, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.

4.  Put egg whites and salt in a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk on high until stiff peaks form. (test by stopping the mixer and lifting the attachment - a peak will form on the end of attachment as it lifts.)

5. Gently fold egg whites in with coconut mixture until well incorporated.

6. Scoop macaroon dough onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper in mounds just under two inches. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Careful not to overcook (the ones pictured here are slightly over-cooked, but that's how my dad likes them!)

Makes about 25 macaroons. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. shouldn't macaroons always have chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it was a science experiment, so I was going for the purity of the cookie. We did dip the leftovers in a chocolate fountain at work :)

    ReplyDelete