Peppermint Bark

I'm not a crafty person.  I don't particularly enjoy crafting, and I'm not very good at it when I do attempt a project.  So it's not much of a surprise that as of yet, my only successful home-made Christmas presents this year are the ones made in the kitchen.  While it does remain a mystery as to why I decided to attempt these crafty projects in the first place, I can't seem to give up on them - which means I can't say what they are until they are a complete fail. The fact that Christmas is less than two weeks away? Well, let's just say that I might be making massive doses of Peppermint Bark on Christmas Eve...



But, since my kitchen creation was a complete success, I am delighted to share my own Peppermint Bark recipe with you!!  Like my crafts, I had no recipe, just an idea in my head that I was hoping would work.  I think next year I'll stick to the kitchen since it takes a lot less time and I am a lot more successful.

This is such a simple recipe and can be made in a quick slab form or you can get creative and use cookie cutters as molds. (This recipe would also lend itself well for girly baby showers or for Valentine's Day treats - just don't use Christmas cookie cutters or candy cane bits on top!)  They make such a fun, festive presentation!



Ingredients
1/2 lb. good white chocolate - or slightly less is okay (I use Callebaut)
1/2 lb. good semi-sweet chocolate (I use Callebaut)
2.5 oz. Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips (or Peppermint Crunch bars, chopped (1/2 box)
1 to 2 candy canes, chopped

1.  If using cookie cutters, grease with cooking spray and place on wax paper.  Melt semi-sweet chocolate in double boiler (glass bowl over pot of simmering water, be sure bowl is not touching water) or in a microwavable bowl in 30 second increments, stirring every 30 seconds (about 2 minutes total).  When chocolate is completely melted, stir well and spoon a thin layer (about 1/4 inch) into molds or spread a thin layer onto wax paper. A toothpick is great for getting the chocolate into the edges of a cookie cutter.  It's helpful to have the wax paper on a cookie sheet so you can pop chocolate into the refrigerator to cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

2.  Melt white chocolate and Andes mints, together, using the same method as in step one and spread/spoon on top of the firm, semi-sweet chocolate.  Top with candy cane pieces while still warm.  Allow to cool and harden on the counter or you may cool in the refrigerator.

3.  Break the slabs of peppermint bark apart for serving.  To get the peppermint bark out of the cookie cutters, carefully push them from the bottom (semi-sweet side).  This will prevent the darker chocolate from smearing onto the pink - if your cookie cutters bend onto the inside on the top rim, you'll have to push from the top down.  You may need to take a sharp knife to trim some of the edges down or to scrape some of the edges off where the chocolate may have bled to make the pieces more attractive.  It's good to cover your fingers with a plastic sandwich baggie so you don't get chocolate smudges on the pink chocolate while handling/pushing the peppermint bark!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment