Cherry Rhubarb Crisp

I was contemplating how I could use the rhubarb (yes, I still have more) and remembered my friend, Katy, talking about making a rhubarb cherry dish for dinner the other night.  I hit the internet to see if I could find her recipe.  I couldn't.  But what I did find was quite a few recipes for Cherry Rhubarb Crisp.  I figured it was worth a try.


What I've done is combine a few elements of different recipes, and I think the outcome is delicious; as did the friends with whom I shared the dish at a 4th of July BBQ.  We served it over a little vanilla ice cream and the combo of sweet and tart was perfect.  I'd highly recommend you try this dish as soon as possible!

I would also recommend investing in a cherry pitter if you don't have one.  I didn't have one so I pitted the cherries by hand; I had the red fingers to prove it.  :)


Cherry Rhubarb Crisp

3 cups rhubarb, diced
2 cups cherries, pitted and halved (sweet cherries, not pie cherries!)
2/3 cup sugar
1 T corn starch
3/4 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/4 cup softened butter, in pieces

1. Mix the fruit with the 2/3 cup sugar and the 1 T corn starch. Let stand.  Changing quantity combinations is okay, if you prefer more cherries to rhubarb.

2.  In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Use hands or a pastry cutter to mix in the butter until the topping is in large crumbles. (I found using my hand worked much better than the pasty cutter).

3.  Pour fruit into an 8x8 dish. Top with topping mix and bake at 375 for 35 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment