Bar Lolo | Review

A mere block and-a-half down the street from where I live is Bar Lolo, a Spanish tapas bar. I'm so happy such a great place is within walking distance - and close enough that I can wear heels for the walk!

Before going to Lolo, I had never been to a tapas bar. Tapas means 'small plates' and that's exactly what is on the menu. It's like a menu of appetizers! (They do have a small selection of
en·trĂ©es if you're looking for a larger plate.) If you're a gin fan, you've got to try Bar Lolo; it's their specialty! With a gin and tonic of the month (made with local gin and tonics, often infused with interesting flavors), there is always something fun to try.

My favorite item on the menu (take into consideration I've not tried everything on the menu yet!) is the fresh potato chips. I'm not a huge potato chip fan in general, but these are not your average potato chips! A little on the thick side, and piping hot when served, they take potato chips to a whole new level. My favorite flavor is herb, which means they come sprinkled with crispy whole herbs that are a treat in themselves. And to make it even better, they're only $2 during happy hour! They also do an excellent job with their empanada crust - flaky deliciousness! I tried the ox tail empanada my first visit and it was quite nice, although I thought the filling tasted a bit like the Sunday roast my mom makes (which when I go out I prefer foods/flavors that I can't - or don't - make myself). It was good, but I wanted something a little more exotic in flavor. On subsequent visits I've tried other plates and the food is simple and tasty.

The atmosphere is reminiscent of old Hollywood with candles and a little sparkle. I like to go there when I want indoor seating and to feel a little fancy. Of course, they have sidewalk seating and it certainly isn't a dress-up kind of crowd.

In sum: great drinks, great atmosphere, and good food!

No comments:

Post a Comment